09/30/2013
    Surgeon
    John Afthinos
    Last Activity
    09-23-2014 09:42 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 23 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 198 Times

Default Re: No pasta? Bread? Ever again?

My doc and nut said all bread must be toasted for the first 18months... and pasta has to be over cooked... I am not a big fan of pasta only on the weekends will I have eggwhites and swiss on whole wheat toast o Other then that I don't eat bread

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member SeasonsChange's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Terri
    Surgery date
    11/26/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Craig Floch
    Last Activity
    12-08-2014 08:32 AM
    Said "Thanks" 386 Times
    Was Thanked 164 Times in 138 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 25 Times

I have had a slice of bread cut in half. I have to eat gluten free because of Celiac disease. The slices of the gluten free bread I buy are about the size of my palm. I cut it in half sometimes and do a grill cheese with ham along with a small cup of tomato soup. It is filling and it hits the spot. Pasta I haven't tried yet. That I think I need a bit more time for. By the way, Im Greek and Italian so I feel your pain.

Sleeved with my husband on 11/26/13! Together through it all

5. Said thanks:

Name
    Nichole
    Surgery date
    01/31/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Farah Husain
    Last Activity
    01-08-2014 05:31 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

I agree with other posters that it really just depends on the person. I made french onion soup last weekend and put a tiny slice of french bread at the bottom and it was fine. However, I ate pizza a couple months ago and it was stuck in my stomach for two days and made me very sick. Pasta also sticks and doesn't feel very good. It feels like it forms a glue-like plug and nothing can get past it, sometimes for an hour - sometimes for seven hours! I had a bite of angel food cake and almost had to go to the hospital! The good news is, your tastes will completely change after your surgery and you will quickly learn what foods make you feel good and what foods don't! Good luck

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member JustWantToBeHealthyAgain's Avatar
    Name
    Katherine
    Surgery date
    12/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. DiBenedetto
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 143 Times in 133 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I made chicken soup yesterday. Threw in some pasta for my boyfriend. I hate about 2 ounces of chicken that was in the broth, which I know I tolerate well, and maybe 2 bites of pasta.

My sleeve hurt! I actually cried. I never want to try that again. Never again!

9. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member CountryGirl72's Avatar
    Name
    Shannon
    Surgery date
    12/04/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    09-24-2023 03:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 26 Times in 25 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6,294 Times
    Blog Entries

According to my paperwork I can have well cooked pastas starting this coming Wednesday. I think it all depends on your doctor and your body. I don't know if I will try it yet or not because nothing else seems to agree with me yet! But... I sure look forward to a couple bites of spaghetti when my belly will agree with me. I can already have toasted bread and crackers if I want. I'm 5 1/2 weeks out...

11. Said thanks:

12. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member gettingbetter4me's Avatar
    Name
    S.Blackmon
    Surgery date
    12/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Eagon
    Last Activity
    03-09-2015 08:47 AM
    Said "Thanks" 48 Times
    Was Thanked 51 Times in 35 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times
    Blog Entries

I have been wondering about pasta as well, I can start introducing new foods in to my diet the end of next week. But I am scared to death of pasta due to hearing you guys talk on here about it, plus...pasta and crackers and bread are what got me to 267lbs! Ive lived without it for a month now and think Im gonna keep it that way. I don't want it to go down easy because with my addictive personality I would go back to my old habits. I have been able to eat the veggie straws (chips) from our local store and the special K popcorn crisps. they seem to melt in my mouth and no pain at all! Some times I cant even eat chicken or turkey chewed well with out pain. Im still learning to make my small amount of food last 30min....so hard to do!
    NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS BEING THIN FEELS

14. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/04/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Carlin
    Last Activity
    08-09-2015 01:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 68 Times in 64 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 405 Times
    Blog Entries

You'll never know unless you try. I was cleared for anything at 6 weeks. Nothing has been a problem. Not sure if that's good or not. I've had chop suey with 1/4 cup of rice, spaghetti (maybe 5 full lengths of noodle) and 2 meatballs, subway flatbread turkey sub (1/3 of a 6 inch sandwich), a coney dog (1/3 of the bottom half of the bun and 2/3 of the hot dog), a perch sandwich (1/4 of the bun and 1/3 of the fish) with 2 french fries. I consider myself very lucky that I haven't gotten sick or the slimies or pain from anything. I also am kind of sad that nothing seems to bother me. Carbs have always been my downfall, bread, pretzels, potatoes. I will NOT bring my favorite pretzels into the house, I'm pretty sure it would be huge trouble. But when the carbs are part of a protein meal, the portion control from the sleeve is great!

16. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    09/06/2013
    Surgeon
    Washington
    Last Activity
    07-31-2020 04:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 48 Times
    Was Thanked 44 Times in 41 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 22 Times

I was told no pasta or bread for the first 6 months. I have eaten a few bites here and there, but it feels me up too fast and feels like a brick sitting in my stomach. So, I try and stay away from it.

18. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Amber
    Surgery date
    12/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-22-2016 10:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times
    Blog Entries

I use spaghetti squash with, groun turkey when I make spaghetti. Can't eat but a couple bites but it is great!

20. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    05/07/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Randy Baker
    Last Activity
    08-22-2014 04:32 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 26 Times in 25 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 49 Times

I can eat one slice of a very thin crust pizza but it definitely is not the same stuffed enjoyment feeling as pre-surgery. Portion control has always been my downfall and the sleeve really works to limit amounts eaten.

22. Said thanks:

Name
    Heather
    Surgery date
    10/14/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr.Selim
    Last Activity
    06-08-2016 01:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 272 Times in 222 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 97 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm 3 months out and have yet to find a food that doesn't agree, including pasta, bread, fruit skins, etc. Sometimes it's a struggle to keep my head right and choose protein over carbs though, so it's a trade off. I think it varies from person to person.

Don't worry about hurting my feelings because I guarantee you not one bit of my self esteem is tied up in your acceptance.

24. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/04/2013
    Surgeon
    dr lenz
    Last Activity
    12-06-2018 02:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 49 Times in 43 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 42 Times
    Blog Entries

I am 10 weeks out & also have not had any food issues with anything I have tried so far. Haven't tried raw veggies, salad yet or rice but have tried crackers, bread, pasta, beef, etc. Pretty much can eat anything but full after 3-4 ounces -so I have stayed with mostly protein - salmon (my post sleeve favorite), canned chicken (easy to get protein in a small amount), cottage cheese & yogurt - but always feeling hungry 1 1/2 hours later. Wish I had issues with some of the "bad" foods but so far haven't even "tested" the waters with most bad foods because I am working so hard at getting that protein in. Would like to find a food that had better "staying power" - I usually end the day with 700-800 cal but as I said, because I can eat only 3-4 ounces at a sitting, and because I am hungry an hour or so later, I feel like I am grazing more than they want. But if you are staying within those calories, does it really matter if it is done in tiny amounts through the day?

26. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/18/2013
    Surgeon
    DR SAMUEL BLEDSOE
    Last Activity
    01-06-2015 11:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Before my sleeve, I was addicted to breads, pastas and rice. At 6 months post op, I still don't crave it and I'm glad that I don't.

28. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member finallythin's Avatar
    Surgery date
    01/23/2014
    Surgeon
    Brad Watkins
    Last Activity
    06-17-2020 01:31 PM
    Said "Thanks" 30 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 53 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by barrbdoll View Post
    yes... I will be 2 years out in April and yes.. I can eat all the same foods as before... Just smaller portions.... I enjoy a variety of breads, pastas, rices and even a slice of pizza here and there.. But.... I am full with 1/2 a sandwich or wrap, about 1/2 cup of pasta or rice and one slice of pizza..... Cravings are satisfied and I don't feel deprived. Plus, my sleeve is doing what it's supposed to do in limiting the amounts of food that I eat... One of my biggest issues before surgery was portion control. I wasn't a fast food junkie, sweets indulger, nada.. Just liked to eat and didn't know when to push the plate away...

My sleeve has changed my life! I still enjoy food but in small amounts.. I seem to eat every 3 hours or so which has sped up my metabolism as well.. Perfect fit for me!!

I will say this though.... if all you ate was junk before surgery please know that you will get to the point where you can eat all junk post surgery so retraining your brain and making healthy choices is essential to long term success!

If you are just a food lover but have issues with portion control than this surgery is the best solution!! Just my opinion!

Good Luck!
    Hello barrbdoll, question: after a couple of years, are you back to eating without vitamin supplements?

Gastric Sleeve Member barrbdoll's Avatar
    Name
    Emily
    Surgery date
    04/16/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    07-24-2017 06:31 AM
    Said "Thanks" 109 Times
    Was Thanked 132 Times in 114 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 14 Times

I tried to take a bariatric vitamin daily but there were times that I missed a few days here and there.. I also tried to take B12 just because its a wonderful supplement and I believe in it so much! 14 months after my sleeve I found out that I was expecting my first child so here I am now... almost 7 months pregnant with a lil boy.

I take a prenatal vitamin now versus a bariatric vitamin... All is good in the womb!! My weight has crept up to 212 (20lbs total) but I am right on track for what my Dr. wants me to gain.... I've had a wonderful pregnancy thus far and am very pleased with my weight gain!

My advice is try and take your vitamins as best as you can... More importantly just try to make healthy choices and get them all natural versus a supplement. It's not the end of the world if you miss them here and there.. same with protein.... I didn't have this surgery to be on supplements or drink protein shakes the rest of my life .. That's more for gastric bypass patients due to the re-routing of the digestive tract and vitamin malnourishment. The sleeve surgery doesn't have those side effects....

Let me know if you have any other questions.. I am an open book and advocate for this surgery.. It's truly changed my life.. BEST decision I have ever made!

Quote Originally Posted by finallythin View Post
    Hello barrbdoll, question: after a couple of years, are you back to eating without vitamin supplements?

31. Said thanks:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast