Surgeon
    Brad Watkins
    Last Activity
    06-17-2020 01:31 PM
    Said "Thanks" 30 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 53 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: No pasta? Bread? Ever again?

Quote Originally Posted by barrbdoll View Post
    I tried to take a bariatric vitamin daily but there were times that I missed a few days here and there.. I also tried to take B12 just because its a wonderful supplement and I believe in it so much! 14 months after my sleeve I found out that I was expecting my first child so here I am now... almost 7 months pregnant with a lil boy.

I take a prenatal vitamin now versus a bariatric vitamin... All is good in the womb!! My weight has crept up to 212 (20lbs total) but I am right on track for what my Dr. wants me to gain.... I've had a wonderful pregnancy thus far and am very pleased with my weight gain!

My advice is try and take your vitamins as best as you can... More importantly just try to make healthy choices and get them all natural versus a supplement. It's not the end of the world if you miss them here and there.. same with protein.... I didn't have this surgery to be on supplements or drink protein shakes the rest of my life .. That's more for gastric bypass patients due to the re-routing of the digestive tract and vitamin malnourishment. The sleeve surgery doesn't have those side effects....

Let me know if you have any other questions.. I am an open book and advocate for this surgery.. It's truly changed my life.. BEST decision I have ever made!

Barrbdoll: oh how exciting! Congrats on your pregnancy!!! Yes...I'd love to stay in touch with you. This really scares me but also, I've come to realize it's going to save my life and give me a new life! In 7 years I've gained 100 lbs. It sucks. Good luck & blessings for you, your family, & your new little one. Thx for the much-needed info regarding vitamins. I have a tough time taking pills. . Hope to keep in touch!! Hugs!

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Roy
    Surgery date
    04/29/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Chae
    Last Activity
    09-11-2016 04:46 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 45 Times in 39 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I'll tell you what I do when I eat bread, pasta, pizza, etc, I make them count. What I mean by that is if I'm going to eat a piece of bread it is going to be a damn good piece of bread with lots of flavor and a crunchy crust, not some crappy slice of white sandwich bread . I baked a loaf of bread last week to go with some split pea soup I was making, I had 1 slice and it was heaven. My wife, daughter and granddaughter ate the rest. It satiated my need for some carbs without going overboard. We went out for pizza over the weekend to our favorite pizza joint. This pizza is wood fired, thin crust topped with chicken, sundried tomatoes and roasted peppers with cheese and garlic infused olive oil. Now I'm not one to site there and pick the toppings off a slice of pizza, if I'm going to eat pizza I will eat the whole slice and savor the experience. I will not eat a crappy slice of Dominoes. I make it count.

Sure it is OK to have the occasional bread, pasta or what have you. Just don't go off the deep end, your diet should the majority of the time be protein first followed by vegetables. Fruit for snacks. If I need something crunchy/salty I will have a handful of soy nuts or pumpkin seeds. It works for me.

5. Said thanks:

Name
    Stacy
    Surgery date
    06/11/2010
    Surgeon
    Dr. James Davidson
    Last Activity
    02-04-2014 11:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 52 Times
    Was Thanked 187 Times in 76 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 190 Times

Good question!! I stayed away from pizza, pasta, rice and bread while I was losing. Once I reached goal, I introduced all these things back into my diet. We limit pizza to once every few months, I can only eat 1.5 slices of a thin pizza. Rice, I only eat 2T or less, pasta, about 1/4 cup. I eat more bread than I should, but every bite is counted and logged on my fitness pal. Pizza is still good, but the high calories keep me from eating it often, it's not worth it to me. Rice and pasta don't give me anything nutrition wise, that I need......but I eat some, also, both seem to double in my tummy after eating. I love bread and I love real butter on it, but I still have to be careful and not fill up on it before our meal is brought to the table!!!

Quote Originally Posted by princessdi View Post
    Alright so being 95% Italian is no excuse I know, but it's legitament enough. Will I never be able to eat bread or pasta ever again or just not until my weight has stabilized? My cousin had gastric bypass and she said she is able to eat a slice of pizza once in a while!

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Of course you'll be able to eat pasta and bread. I can eat anything (yes, anything), just smaller amounts. That's the fun part, you enjoy your food and still lose weight!

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member finallythin's Avatar
    Surgery date
    01/23/2014
    Surgeon
    Brad Watkins
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 30 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank God!!!

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Socaldixiegal's Avatar
    Surgery date
    02/11/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    01-04-2017 01:33 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 177 Times in 156 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Early on it's way too filling - you'll eat that and wont' be able to get in protein and the nutrients your body needs. I would occasionally have half a slice of toast. Probably around month 4 or 5 pasta would go down fine. For lunch about a month or so ago I started making half a ham or turkey sandwich. That would be fine and VERY filling. Then I started with english muffins - usually hollow out as much of the bready part as possible and I toast the heck out of things anyway, always have.

Here's the problem I have --- when I eat carbs, that's what I crave. I can also eat more pasta then protein. So, eat pasta . . crave pasta . . eat more than I should . . full . . then crave . . eat when not hungry . . .have too many calories . . gain a pound or two . . . slippery slope begins.

Also, what do I put on pasta? Hmmm, alfredo sauce, butter, cheese, etc. Same thing with toast or an english muffin. Those like to be topped with butter and then perhaps jam or even more cheese (yes, I have a cheese problem).

So, while yes, I can eat it. Moderation is key but let's face it. WE SUCK AT MODERATION. That's why we all had this surgery! (yes, generalization there).

Will I avoid all of those forever - no. But, I really have to watch, count and keep myself accountable. This is also why I'm not at goal! Okay, that and wine. So, I have a cheese, carb and wine problem

Starting weight for lap-band = 252
    miserable 5 years later
    Starting weight for VSG = 229
    Pre-op weight = 219

12. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    01/23/2014
    Surgeon
    Brad Watkins
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 30 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Socaldixiegal,

Thank you for being so real! Sometimes when I'm on these kind of forums, people act so dang perfect...oh holier than thou attitudes. I appreciate your honesty and genuineness. Set to be sleeved in a few days!!! Nervous but happy! Good luck & prayers to all previous and future sleevers on here!!!

14. Said thanks:

Surgeon
    Dr Gordon Padovan
    Last Activity
    10-01-2014 02:58 AM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

hi everyone I am new here. I am having my surgery on 27th February. Thanks for your posts. I have gathered from the reading I've been doing on here that it is different for everyone and that your tastes do change post surgery, which is what my surgeon has told me. My surgeon has also told me that I will be able to eat all the foods I used to (obviously in much smaller amounts) but that I will find a lot of foods that I loved unappealing. I loooooove bread so I will be interested to see how I go with it post op. I am feeling a bit apprehensive and even thought yesterday about cancelling or postponing my surgery but I need to go ahead with this. My health is suffering and I see no other option for me.

16. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    01/23/2014
    Surgeon
    Brad Watkins
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 30 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi bjrocks,
    I fully understand your words. I, too was in your same shoes last spring. I made the decision to trust my doctor and I'm so glad I did! I'm only one week out from having had the sleeve surgery. I'm no longer craving sugar and breads. It's the best gift I could give to myself and my loved ones. Diabetes was knocking at my door and I couldn't keep up with regular chores, let alone chase down my 4 kids. Everything in my life was suffering, including me and my health. Prayers to you to come to a decision about surgery. I have been on the diet roller coaster way too long. Since the 2-week pre-op diet (these vary by doctor), I'm already down 26 lbs. I realize in Ozzy it must be nice and HOT, but here we are below zero freezing temperatures... my first little milestone: I zipped my coat today! Bought it 2 years ago and could never zip it. Yay! Anyhow, hang in there...the rest of our lives await!

18. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member GayLynn Alexander's Avatar
    Name
    GayLynn
    Surgery date
    05/21/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Dat Nguyen
    Last Activity
    04-14-2014 11:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts

My problem has been being able to reintroduce leafy foods back into my diet. Here's an idea: You like Florentine sauces? Blend your Spinach into your sauce. Really there is really very little flavor change in the sauce at all. So if you don't like spinach but need it for vitamin content, easy peasy. I do eat pasta dishes. Not alot of it and very heavy on the meat side of it. Another thing you can do is to substitude thin sliced zuccini in place of say, lasagna noodles. Add the spinach to the sauce. This is one my surgeon himselfhad to try. Make your lasagna sauce with all the meat and vegetables and stuff a large zuccini with it. Even my 8 year old granddaughter loves that!

You don't have to force yourself to eat things you don't like to get your vitamins. Be creative and think outside of the box. Beans should be a major suppliment in your diet. And very high in protein.

20. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member JourneyTX's Avatar
    Surgery date
    01/21/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Nocholson
    Last Activity
    08-27-2014 02:25 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

I have enjoyed reading all comments. I'm one week out from surgery and had my first milked-down yogurt today. I'm so scared I'm going to do the wrong thing and not be successful.

Gastric Sleeve Member JourneyTX's Avatar
    Surgery date
    01/21/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Nocholson
    Last Activity
    08-27-2014 02:25 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

If you really want to do it....Don't postpone it! I did that the first time. I finally had it done 6 months later. I'm only one week out.

23. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    03/07/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Quinones
    Last Activity
    04-07-2014 11:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

@JourneyTX Congats on your courage to have the surgery. Good luck on your journey to a better health!

Surgeon
    Dr Gordon Padovan
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times

thank you for your support. I am going ahead I am just a little bit scared. I know my life will never be the same again afterwards. I worry that I will find eating out frustrating. I eat out and socialize quite a lot and I am wondering how I will adjust to the "sleeved me". I am also worried that I will be really hungry after the surgery. I am always hungry lol.

Surgeon
    Dr Gordon Padovan
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times

Thumbs up Re: No pasta? Bread? Ever again?

Quote Originally Posted by finallythin View Post
    Hi bjrocks,
    I fully understand your words. I, too was in your same shoes last spring. I made the decision to trust my doctor and I'm so glad I did! I'm only one week out from having had the sleeve surgery. I'm no longer craving sugar and breads. It's the best gift I could give to myself and my loved ones. Diabetes was knocking at my door and I couldn't keep up with regular chores, let alone chase down my 4 kids. Everything in my life was suffering, including me and my health. Prayers to you to come to a decision about surgery. I have been on the diet roller coaster way too long. Since the 2-week pre-op diet (these vary by doctor), I'm already down 26 lbs. I realize in Ozzy it must be nice and HOT, but here we are below zero freezing temperatures... my first little milestone: I zipped my coat today! Bought it 2 years ago and could never zip it. Yay! Anyhow, hang in there...the rest of our lives await!
    I am so unfit suffering from high cholesterol, sleep aponea, asthma, very sore knees, legs and feet amongst other things. So I am doing this! Yes very hot here at the moment. Well done to you for being able to zip up your coat!! That is wonderful

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast