Surgeon
    Dr.Castillo
    Last Activity
    10-28-2012 09:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 64 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Have not had the surgery yet, just want people to tell me about their experience in Mexico.

Hi Lindsey, we have a little bit in common, we started out about the same weight, my surgery was the 11th and I had my surgery in Medford. I live in Brookings. I sent you a friend request , thought maybe we could help each other thru this process since we are so close.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member barrbdoll's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Emily
    Surgery date
    04/16/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    07-24-2017 06:31 AM
    Said "Thanks" 109 Times
    Was Thanked 132 Times in 114 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 14 Times

Default Re: Have not had the surgery yet, just want people to tell me about their experience in Mexico.

I just replied on another post so copying and pasting here....

Congrats on your decision!! I just had my surgery on April 16th with Dr. Ortiz in Tijuana and I feel fabulous!! His center is called Obesity Control Center and it's a state of the art facility that has been given the honor of being an "International Center of Excellence". He's been featured on Oprah, The Doctors and has even been named one of the top 15 Bariatric surgeons by Newsweek Magazine. When I first started researching WLS it was 7-8 years ago but the timing just wasn't right with work, personal relationships, etc.... I finally started to research again and after looking at other Doctors in Mexico (I'm was self pay too) I went right back to Dr. Ortiz. There are other surgeons to choose from and I implore you to do your research and due diligence before making your final selection. When choosing a surgeon you should focus on experience, facility, comfort for you and any guests, etc... and not just on price. I paid $6995 and that included all transportation from San Diego, 4 nights hotel stay at the Marriott in Tijuana for my mother and transportation back to San Diego. There are 6 private suites in his center that are very comfortable and you even have your own Direct TV.....PLUS you are surrounded by nothing but folks just like YOU and not in a hospital where God knows what types of diseases, infections, etc... are present. That was a HUGE deal for me. Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Martinez speak perfect English and have an incredible bedside manner. My surgery was on Monday morning and I was discharged on Tuesday around noon. I was back at the hotel laying by the pool and getting some sun and on day 3 I was out shopping for 3-4 hours. Dr. Ortiz has an agreement with the Marriott and they will bring you broth, popsicles, etc.. all included in your price. Your guest (if you bring one) will be very well taken care of.

I honestly believe that a good pre-op diet accompanied by a positive attitude truly helped me come out of this surgery with flying colors. A lot of this journey, especially in the beginning is all mental. Once you decide on a surgeon get into a ZONE and stay there!! Reach out for support (the forums are great) and find folks that are getting their surgeries around the same time. It really does help!

I am definitely an advocate for Dr. Ortiz and Obesity Control Center... He has changed my life and I will be forever grateful! His website Obesity Control Center > Lap Band Surgery in Mexico is very informative and he even has his own YouTube channel where you can watch videos of testamonials, surgeries. etc...

You are going to get a lot of responses from others promoting other surgeons.. Everyone's experience is different so be prepared to research, research RESEARCH!!!!

Feel free to contact me directly if you have any other questions!!

All The Best!!!
    Emily

Surgery date
    08/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Ramos kelly
    Last Activity
    11-06-2013 01:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 189 Times
    Was Thanked 169 Times in 154 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 93 Times
    Blog Entries

I had surgery in Mx after being denied 3 times by insurance. I have many comobidities but still was denied. I had a good experience, Dr Kelly was my dr. and he met me a day before surgery at the hotel and sat and discussed everything he was going to do and put my fears to rest. I was then ready and everything went well, a little pain the first day but it got better after that, my husband stayed in the room with me and then we went to the lucerna hotel which was beautiful. Don't fear Mx. as some people say, you are picked up at the airport and brought directly to the hospital or hotel and someone is always with you during your visit. we also walked all over after my surgery to the mall, and shopping. we had no problems, unless your looking for them. Dr kelly did his surgery in the hospital some drs have a small place in strip malls. but just do your research before choosing. if you have many health issues, as i did I had to be sure they carried blood, had a resusitator. the strip malls do not carry blood, but the hospital does have it on hand if needed. but i can tell you, that this surgery doesn't have many complications as other surgeries. I didn't need a follow up, I used my family dr. but I had absolutley no problems, its been since aug. and I feel better now then ever before.

Gastric Sleeve Member babsyann42's Avatar
    Surgery date
    11/30/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-22-2012 01:36 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

The responses I have recieved have been great. My next concern is this, what if there is complications when you get back home. My cousin had the surgery in March of this year here and he is back in the hospital as we speak because he developed a cyst on his stomach that was blocking the pouch. For 8 days he had been throwing up. So now he is going to have surgery this evening for that. Please keep him in your prayers. The town I live in when you have major health problems they send you to the bigger cities. I would be afraid they might not know what is going on since the surgeon is in Mexico.

Surgery date
    11/30/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

I just reread my cousins wife post on facebook and she said he has a cyst-era in the stomach that has close the pouch where the food goes thru.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    miorazyXD
    Surgery date
    02/16/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Rod
    Last Activity
    04-25-2024 12:40 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 68 Times

I didn't go with the same surgeon as you. I wanted to be in a hospital environment because that's how I felt more comfortable. Going to a clinic wouldn't have made me feel relaxed. =)

That being said though, the area wasn't really bad. We had a driver who I felt comfortable with and my husband even went jogging around the outside of the hospital with no issues. I spoke to my doctor here at home about it, about going, about the facility, about the doctor there and my doctor here contacted my surgeon even. Thankfully everything for me has been great, but if I did have problems my doctor here could have handled them for me and if something came up, he could always contact my surgeon. Explain to them that you aren't going off half cocked and that you have done your homework. =)

There are places like Beliteweight that will let you finance your surgery. They are who I went through to book mine.

Surgery date
    11/30/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Savvy, where did you go to in Mexico and who was your doctor?

Gastric Sleeve Member jenssensmom's Avatar
    Name
    Wendy Jasper-Martinez
    Surgery date
    04/16/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    08-17-2015 05:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 58 Times in 39 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 29 Times

I had my surgery done in TJ with Dr. Almanza and I went alone. I did not feel unsafe and as former Law Enforcement I have heard all the horror stories about the situation in Mexico. However, my insurance would not cover it and I really needed it done. I did a lot of research and after a family member went to TJ to have his done and came back with a good report, I decided to do the same thing. I don't regret it! All of my co-morbidities are gone, I am in a size 4/6 in most types of clothing, and I feel great! I have been at goal for about six months and my weight has maintained. I haven't really lost any more, but I am not gaining. I am very happy with my choice and I am sure you will be too. Good luck with fundraising and keep us updated on your progress. You will find a lot of support and very nice people on this forum.

Surgery date
    11/30/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thank you Wendy for answering. I pray you reach your 120 lb goal too. Thanks for being very supportive too.