Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

paradoxgal

First blog - post op 18 days

Rate this Entry
My surgery wasn't planned for a long period of time. I decided the beginning of October to look into it after seeing a random internet story about a girl having it done and looked amazing. I had looked into it before, but I thought I wouldn't be able to afford it, and get my husband and family/friends on board with it. I looked into it locally, but didn't have $18,000 on hand. I looked into traveling abroad to have it done, but thought that was pretty extreme.

I got serious about making the decision after many failed attempts on my own to successfully lose weight. In less than 10 years, I had three children, lots of moves, changes, even a hysterectomy and went from 180 lbs to 303 lbs. I reached 300+ on the scale, and my self worth plummeted with my health, and my spirit felt rock bottom. I was really wishing that I would just go to sleep and not wake up. That my husband and children deserved so much better than the shell of a person that existed in my place.

I decided to have the surgery on October 10th, and booked it for 2 weeks from that day - October 24th. I bought my plane tickets and put down my deposit on the surgeon - to solidify my plans and make it so I wouldn't have much room to change my mind. The next two weeks were fine. I began my pre-op diet per the surgeons directions. I cheated frequently, but I was still losing weight, and keeping my mind busy. I also decided to have my gall bladder out the same time as I read several people having some issues with gall bladder attacks after their surgery. I figured it was easier to just pay a little bit more and not have the issues that may (or may not) come.

The day of my surgery came quickly, and I hugged and kissed my kids and husband goodbye and boarded my plane to San Diego - the kids didn't and still don't know what I was leaving exactly for, I didn't want them to attempt to wrap their brain around this in their childhood.. I was thoughtful on the plane, but it was just over an hour and we were landing. Before I knew it, I was laying on a table in my gown, prepped for surgery, and watching the anesthesiologist and the surgeon attempt to place an IV (always, always a battle). I woke up and my memory of the first 12 hours is dim. My IV became clogged and was bleeding all over me, as well as my drain. 2 nurses worked for a couple hours to place a new IV, and got resettled. The next problem came the 2nd night in the hospital after my surgery. With my IV again. They had to clear it with a surge of fluids because it was clotted again. This was extremely painful. In the morning, a nurse came in and started injecting meds into my IV line, and an intense pain came. I told her, but she nodded and kept pushing through. There was a bulge under my IV bandages and an intense ache. I was realizing that she likely blew out my IV and the fluids went in beneath my skin. Over 2 weeks later it is still sore. I hope no permanent tissue damage was done.

I had my leak test and it was stated NO LEAKS. The surgeon Dr Ortiz came in and chatted, then said to remove the IV, for me to shower, then they would remove my drain in the early afternoon. Dr Morales came and removed my drain. There was a slight moment of intense pain that came when he was removing it - as if it caught on something, but the rest of it was just an off feeling of pulling and release. I also had a small drain on the other side that was a tiny thin plastic tube that drained into gauze, for my gall bladder removal.

I went over to the Marriott and settled in. The room was very clean and comfortable, just like a nice Marriott in the states. The bed was one of the most comfortable hotel beds I had ever stayed in. I would go down to the dining room to sip my broth, and catch a little TV. I did shop a little with the groups each day, but not hard core. I wanted to take it very easy. I was taken back to the airport was was home that night. I got motion sick on that flight and had diarrhea for 2 days.

Back at home recovering was difficult. I was feeling what felt like hunger. Pain and burning was starting to really take place. I was very uncomfortable the first week. It was uncomfortable to sit, lay, and even walk for too long. Not bad enough to cry, but annoying. I couldn't find anything that I wanted to drink. Protein shakes tasted gross, thick, and almost too sweet. I have never cared for artificial sweeteners. Smelling smells, seeing commercials, and having all the Halloween candy... It was hard. I wanted to eat real food so badly, and also to make the discomfort go away. I cheated a few times and paid the price of bloating and pain.

At 2 weeks out I began to be able to consume things with more substance. I started taking prilosec and feeling less discomfort. Sleeping better at night, riding in the car, cooking, cleaning, but still resting. Now that I am coming up on 3 weeks, I am feeling more confident. I am now at 276 lbs and feeling a difference already. Thats 27 lbs down, and I can feel it and see it just a little bit. I look forward to at least another 100 lbs lost, and an improved life. It has not been easy thus far. The discomfort has not been life threatening, but it's uncomfortable nonetheless. So far weighing the odds of the difficulties, I am still glad I made the choice, and hope to enjoy a longer life with my family, and an increased amount of joy that I can actually participate in life!

Submit "First blog - post op 18 days" to Digg Submit "First blog - post op 18 days" to del.icio.us Submit "First blog - post op 18 days" to StumbleUpon Submit "First blog - post op 18 days" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

EVEN THOUGH YOUR JOUNEY STARTED OUT MESSED UP,IT SOUNDS LIKE IT'S GETTING BETTER,AND IT WILL GET EVEN BETTER,BUT ONLY IF YOU STAY TRUE TO YOUR NEW DIET.I DON'T MEAN TO SOUND LIKE AN INSENSITIVE JERK, BUT STOP CHEATING!!!!I MEAN ONCE YOU START CHEATING IT'S JUST TO EASY TO KEEP ON CHEATING.IT WAS'NT ONLY ALOT OF MONEY YOU SPENT BUT WHAT YOU JUST PUT YOUR BODY THROUGH WAS MASSIVE,I MEAN YOU OWE IT TO YOURSELF TO STAY STRONG AND NOT CHEAT.AND IF I CAN DO IT YOU CAN DO IT.I'M 3 DAY'S AWAY FROM BEING I MONTH OUT,AND I HAVE'NT EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT CHEATING AND ONE THING I LIVE BY, IS THAT I WONT REWARD MYSELF WITH FOOD.AT MY HEAVIEST I WAS 350LBS AND I FELT JUST LIKE YOU DID WHEN YOU WERE 300+,SO JUST ASK YOUR SELF-- DO YOU WANT TO FEEL LIKE THAT AGAIN? HELL KNOW YOU DON'T!!!!I HOPE YOU MAKE IT TO YOUR GOAL,I WISH ALL THE BEST FOR YOU.IF YOU FEEL LIKE YOU WANT TO CHEAT SHOOT ME A PRIVATE MESSAGE AND I WILL HELP YOU THROUGH IT.
    I had the same problem with my IV, my hand and arm were 3x the normal size when I was discharged and the vein on my hand/wrist is still very tender & painful, it bulges up right at the top of my wrist and if I touch it there the pain is incredible. I do know they had to use a pediatric IV on me and that my night nurse did not realize this until she had pushed some meds thru way too quickly and I screamed out in pain! I'm hoping it will get better soon.
    I JUST LEFT A COMMENT AND I DID'NT PROOF READ IT BEFORE I POSTED IT AND THERE WAS A TYPE-O,WHEN I WROTE ( HELL KNOW YOU DON'T ) I MEANT TO WRITE ( HELL NO YOU DON'T).
    AGAIN I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST.
    TONY.
    Quote Originally Posted by TDEHERRERA
    EVEN THOUGH YOUR JOUNEY STARTED OUT MESSED UP,IT SOUNDS LIKE IT'S GETTING BETTER,AND IT WILL GET EVEN BETTER,BUT ONLY IF YOU STAY TRUE TO YOUR NEW DIET.I DON'T MEAN TO SOUND LIKE AN INSENSITIVE JERK, BUT STOP CHEATING!!!!I MEAN ONCE YOU START CHEATING IT'S JUST TO EASY TO KEEP ON CHEATING.IT WAS'NT ONLY ALOT OF MONEY YOU SPENT BUT WHAT YOU JUST PUT YOUR BODY THROUGH WAS MASSIVE,I MEAN YOU OWE IT TO YOURSELF TO STAY STRONG AND NOT CHEAT.AND IF I CAN DO IT YOU CAN DO IT.I'M 3 DAY'S AWAY FROM BEING I MONTH OUT,AND I HAVE'NT EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT CHEATING AND ONE THING I LIVE BY, IS THAT I WONT REWARD MYSELF WITH FOOD.AT MY HEAVIEST I WAS 350LBS AND I FELT JUST LIKE YOU DID WHEN YOU WERE 300+,SO JUST ASK YOUR SELF-- DO YOU WANT TO FEEL LIKE THAT AGAIN? HELL KNOW YOU DON'T!!!!I HOPE YOU MAKE IT TO YOUR GOAL,I WISH ALL THE BEST FOR YOU.IF YOU FEEL LIKE YOU WANT TO CHEAT SHOOT ME A PRIVATE MESSAGE AND I WILL HELP YOU THROUGH IT.
    I know you have good intentions, but yes - it did come off as insensitive and condescending. Don't beat people up when they knowingly make mistakes - even if you're so perfect you don't. Thanks for the thought at least of trying to be supportive - I get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by paradoxgal
    I know you have good intentions, but yes - it did come off as insensitive and condescending. Don't beat people up when they knowingly make mistakes - even if you're so perfect you don't. Thanks for the thought at least of trying to be supportive - I get it.
    I'M SORRY YOU TOOK MY RESPONSE THE WRONG WAY,AND BY KNOW MEAN'S AM I PERFECT!!!!!! AND I WOULD NEVER BEAT SOMEONE UP FOR MAKING A MISTAKE BUT A MISTAKE IS WHEN YOU PUT TO MUCH SUGAR IN THE KOOL-AID,CHEATING IS NOT A MISTAKE IT'S A CHOICE AND YOUR AN ADULT AND YOU KNOW CHEATING IS NOT A GOOD THING.CHEATING MEAN'S GOING BACK TO WHERE YOU DON'T WANT TO BE.I JUST WANT YOU TO BE SUCCESSFUL. I DON'T MEAN TO BE MEAN I JUST TELL IT LIKE IT IS. NO SUGAR COATING. I APPRECIATE IT WHEN PEOPLE TELL ME THINGS WITHOUT SUGAR COATING IT AND MAYBE THE NEXT TIME YOU THINK ABOUT CHEATING YOU'LL THINK ABOUT MY POST TO YOU AND YOU WON'T CHEAT. ONCE AGAIN, LET ME SAY, THIS WAS NOT TO BEAT YOU UP, THIS WAS FROM MY HEART. I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST. IF YOU ARE STILL MAD AT ME I'LL UNDERSTAND.
    TONY
    Haha, I'm not mad, it's just condescending. Not many people like a lecture. We ALL need support here. I will retract what I said by saying I cheated a couple times, and instead say I ate soft foods while I was on liquids, and my sleeve hurt because of those choices.

I will not sugar coat it either. I think if you're going to go around and call people on their crap - go right ahead. You just may not always get a "thank you captain obvious". I didn't take the response the "wrong way". I know you were trying to be supportive, if in your own way.
    I am glad you are doing better! My hand was triple size when I left the hospital. My hubby is a nurse and asked me why I did not say anything to the nurse. I would have had I known it should not have been sore.
    see, now i feel stupid!!!!!!!!!! eating soft food's while you were on liquid's is not cheating,but it's not my fault,you were not clear on what you mean't by cheating. i never mean't to lecture you,i totally agree that nobody like's to be lectured, but sometimes the best support comes by being brutally honest. when it comes to cheating i am just as hard on myself as anyone else. because this life choice that you made is much to important to ruin by cheating. NOT YOU, because you didn't cheat. now, can we start all over again and forget about this misunderstanding? even though i meant everything i said about cheating but it had nothing to do with you.
    so, i am sorry to hear that you had such a painful experience with your surgery and i bet you will never jump ahead of your diet again because i also did that and it hurt almost as bad as passing a kidney stone. i know i will never do it again. i hope you keep in touch, please let me know in two weeks how you are doing. you should be due for a stall in your weight loss, i just got over one, so don't freak out like i did. all the best.

tony